at a glance
- Abumurava means People Striving for Excellence Cooperative.
- Abumurava’s vision is to work together in order that the members may develop themselves, increase their standard of living, and reduce their financial dependence on others.
- The group has about 30 members, all women.
- Abumurava’s artistic specialty is weaving sisal fibers.
- Abumurava works in Muhanga District.
a closer look
The Abumurava Cooperative was begun by a core group of women in October 2007 as a forum for working together in order to provide mutual support, development, and increased standard of living. Many of the women have struggled with illness, poverty, and loneliness due to HIV/AIDS. Through the group, they have been slowly able to use and improve their skills in weaving in order to better provide for themselves and their families. The time they spend working together provides significant moral support for the members of Abumurava, who are working to overcome discouragement and hoping to find new markets in the coming year.
- Population – 307,501
- Size of District – 648 km2, or 250 miles2
- Main work – Agriculture (coffee, cassava, vegetables and cereals)
- Official District Website: www.muhanga.gov.rw