AVEKI Widows’ Association
Zephrine, Clementine, Christianne, Pelagie, & Domathille
at a glance
- AVEKI Twisungane means Let’s Be Together Widows’ Association
- About eleven widows comprise AVEKI Association.
- AVEKI’s purpose is to fight against poverty and to develop their families without having to always have to ask for financial help from others.
- AVEKI’s artistic specialty is weaving from natural sisal fibers.
- AVEKI works in Muhanga District.
a closer look
Every Tuesday morning, a group of widows in Cyeza, Rwanda gathers together to encourage one another in their weaving and in their lives. It is a challenge for these women to carve out a weekly time away from their responsibilities caring for their children, maintaining their homes, and farming their fields. But they have found that the personal and professional benefits are worth it! In this last year, despite facing many obstacles, the members of AVEKI Widow’s Association were able to pay for medical insurance for their families, purchase necessities like clothing, and resolve a number of other problems for their families.
In the future, the group hopes to develop a dairy farm for added income. They hope that each member will be able to afford a telephone and to pay school fees for her children.
- Population – 307,501
- Size of District – 648 km2, or 250 miles2
- Main work – Agriculture (coffee, cassava, vegetables and cereals)
- Official District Website: www.muhanga.gov.rw