Fredric Nyandwi & COASINYA Cooperative
at a glance
- Fredric Nyandwi is a sculptor who trains young men in the art of woodcarving.
- Between 2009 and 2011, Fredric trained 13 apprentices.
- Fredric specializes in carving beautiful decorative items for the home.
- Fredric and his graduated apprentices have formed COASINYA Cooperative.
- These woodcarvers work in Nyaruguru District, just south of Butare town.
a closer look
Frederic Nyandwi is a husband, father, and skilled wood carver. When he first began working for himself in 1993, Fredric had a vision to not only develop his own skills and livelihood, but also to train others in the art and profession of woodcarving. With the support of the Rwandan government, Frederic has trained more than 13 young artisans. At the beginning of 2012, some of these newly trained woodcarvers joined together with Frederic to form an artisans’ cooperative. Frederic is extremely dedicated to his work and continues to lead and coach his group to grow in their profession and continue to build for a good future.
- Population – 300,000
- Size of District – 1,010 km2, or 390 miles2
- Main work – Agriculture (beans, peas, maize, cassava, sweet potatoes, yams, sorghum, bananas, millet, cabbage, tomatoes, fruit trees)
- Official District Website: www.nyaruguru.gov.rw