at a glance
- Ingobokarugo means Helping Our Homes Cooperative.
- Over 30 women are members of Ingabokarugo weaving Cooperative.
- The weavers’ financial independence has improved their relationships with their husbands and enabled them to contribute to their households.
- Ingabokarugo’s artistic specialty is weaving ornamental baskets.
a closer look
The Ingabokarugo “Helping Our Homes” Cooperative is made up of women who endeavor to contribute to the livelihoods of their families through weaving.
Although much of the weaving is done by each member in her home, the group comes together once a week to bring their products and encourage one another in work and life in general. Currently, the ladies meet in a nursery school, but their dream is to build their own workshop where they can weave together indoors and store their products, so that they can continue to grow their skills, their business, their families, and their communities.
- Population – 307,501
- Size of District – 648 km2, or 250 miles2
- Main work – Agriculture (coffee, cassava, vegetables and cereals)
- Official District Website: www.muhanga.gov.rw