at a glance
- Petronille Uwimana is a mother of 4 and grandmother of 9.
- She learned to craft musical shakers in 1990 from a neighbor.
- Petronille uses gourds grown in her garden to make her shakers.
- In the future, Petronille would like to earn enough money from her craft to purchase a second cow.
- Petronille is involved in the local pentacostal church and sings in the choir.
a closer look
Petronille Uwimana learned to create musical shakers in 1990 at the age of 42. Sitting alongside a neighboring craftsman, Petronille watched, learned, and eventually mastered the art.
Now in her early 60s, Petronille is widowed with 4 children and 9 grandchildren. She grows gourds in her garden from which to make her shakers, and uses her income to provide basic needs for her family, to invest in farm animals, and to share with neighbors in need. In her free time, Petronille likes to visit with friends and sings in the choir at her church.
- Population – 307,501
- Size of District – 648 km2, or 250 miles2
- Main work – Agriculture (coffee, cassava, vegetables and cereals)
- Official District Website: www.muhanga.gov.rw