at a glance
- Pierre is a young husband and father of one.
- Pierre specializes in carving abstract birds and wooden earrings.
- Most of Pierre’s work is carved from the Jacaranda tree.
- Pierre carves at his home in Muhanga District.
a closer look
Pierre Ntivuguruzwa began woodcarving at the age of 13 in the hope of being able to raise his standard of living and avoid having to beg for money. Although he has faced many challenges, including inadequacy of tools, raw materials, skills training, and customers, Pierre’s craft has provided the means to build a small home for his bride and to feed his family. In the future, Pierre would like to establish a small farm and eventually purchase a motorcycle to rent out as a taxi for added income. Pierre’s artistic focus is carving abstract birds and wooden earrings.
- Population – 307,501
- Size of District – 648 km2, or 250 miles2
- Main work – Agriculture (coffee, cassava, vegetables and cereals)
- Official District Website: www.muhanga.gov.rw