Hand Carved Zebra Bookends *sold out!*: $65.00
Product Weight: 1.8 lbs
Product Style Number: HM/1BW/M/37
at a glance
- The artisans use wood from the Jacaranda or Musave trees for their carving.
- Each bookend is carved from a single slice of the tree!
- Zebra bookends are crafted by graduates from a woodcarving apprenticeship program (see their feature profile below).
- Our bookends are sold in pairs.
- On average, the zebra bookends measure about 8 inches tall.
a closer look
The graduates of Fredric Nyandwi’s apprenticeship program have come along way. These young men have emerged from their training with the skills to turn a fallen tree into beautiful objects for the home.
Zebra Bookends are crafted from the wood of locally-available Jacaranda and Musave trees.
Depicting one of the most graceful animals of Rwanda’s national park, these bookends truly are functional art. What a great way to add style and organization to your bookshelf or to showcase your favorite books. Bookends also make a fabulous gift!
Fredric Nyandwi & COASINYA Cooperative
- Fredric Nyandwi is a sculptor who trains young men in the art of woodcarving.
- Between 2009 and 2011, Fredric trained 13 apprentices.
- Fredric specializes in carving beautiful decorative items for the home.
- Fredric and his graduated apprentices have formed COASINYA Cooperative.
- These woodcarvers work in Nyaruguru District, just south of Butare town.
- Population – 300,000
- Size of District – 1,010 km2, or 390 miles2
- Main work – Agriculture (beans, peas, maize, cassava, sweet potatoes, yams, sorghum, bananas, millet, cabbage, tomatoes, fruit trees)
- Official District Website: www.nyaruguru.gov.rw