Hygge is the Danish tradition of making your home cozy and enjoyable. Associated with relaxation, indulgence, and gratitude, hygge has long been considered a part of the Danish national character.
With more of us spending our days at home, we wanted to offer some easy ways to make your space more enjoyable. Here are a few tips to hygge your own space!
1. Rearrange: Look at the spaces in your home where you spend the most time. Is there a better way to position furniture? Are your windows letting in as much sunlight as possible? Are there things taking up space that aren’t being used? Draw a diagram and rearrange on paper before you make the effort, or just go for it!
2. Declutter: Decluttering isn’t a new thought, but it can be overwhelming. Pick one area a day and focus on decluttering. Make piles of things you want accessible, things to store, things to donate, and things to trash. Items that you use most often should be given priority in your space. Everything else you wish to keep can be stored in organization bins (or baskets!)
3. Dedicate space: If you find yourself working or studying from home, one of the best ways you can help your productivity is to create a dedicated space for work. Try to keep your bed a work-free place of rest. Set up a folding table in a space where you can see out a window or is free from distraction to provide a place of calm and focus. If you find yourself needing a place to relax, why not create a reading nook with pillows, blankets, and Christmas lights or set up a camping chair or hammock with some pillows outside!
4. Repurpose: One way you can make your space joyful and soul-fueling is by repurposing household items you already own. Do you have a favorite Christmas decoration that you only pull out once a year? Bring it out! Do you have lawn décor that you can only see when you’re outside? Put it closer to the window so you can see it more often. Can you bring your hammock inside? Can you move candles into the bathroom and create a spa-like atmosphere?
5. Add something new: Have you tired of looking at the same walls and decor for days on end? Have you had your eye on something new? Do you have a wall that you’ve always wished to convert into a bowl wall? Allow yourself to purchase something new to make your space more enjoyable. One of our curated woven bowl sets could be a unique statement piece against a neutral wall. Your home will be even more enjoyable if it’s beautiful and purposeful, and with these neat Banana Leaf Dividing Trays to organize your desk space and Banana Leaf Nesting Cubes, this has never been easier! These items also have added purpose – each purchase provides work for artisans in rural Rwanda!
Are you inspired to hygge your home, and, if so, in what ways? Tell us and share your tips and ideas!